I am currently a practicing second level teacher. I taught Gifted and Talented Children at the Centre for Talented Youth in Dublin City University for 17 years from when it’s first summer programme was established in 1993. I taught children from ages 6 to 17 years on CTYI programmes, drafting and delivering courses on World History, Irish History, Government and Society, Political Science, Geopolitics and also International Relations. I have tutored parents, teachers and school inspectors on the Gifted and Talented Course provided by ICEPE, for which I have also written. I maintain an advocacy blog for gifted education at www.giftedandtalented.ie and I co-founded and developed a support network for parents with Exceptionally-Able and Twice Exceptional children in Ireland. I have delivered lectures to trainee teachers on the inclusion of gifted children in the classroom.
Initiatives associated with this site
- #gtie Twitter Chat on Gifted issues in Ireland – Sundays, 9.oopm GMT (@peter_lydon)
- www.teachireland.org – Teachers of Exceptionally Able Children in Ireland
- www.gtnetwork.ie – a network of support groups and parent/advocates for gifted children
- A Register of Schools that have implemented a gifted education policy and a Hall of Fame for schools.
- National Gifted Education Awareness Day and EU Talent Day Ireland
- My Youtube channel (Gifted Ireland)
- A Global Gifted Education Awareness Day